Tuesday, July 26, 2011

25 July 2011


I made some progress today, but not as much as I hoped. Although, trying to maintain at least an hour a day has yielded a lot more than I was getting before.

Today I cleaned up 8 models and mounted them on washers. This is my first time working with 15mm, so I am learning as I go. I like to experiment so we will see what kind of techniques I develop. I did do a lot of reading on The Miniatures Page and several of the members blogs and had some ideas going in.

I played around with my Dremel to see if I could shave down the thickness of the bases, as I didn’t want too much of a lump between the base and the models feet. I had put a sticker on the bottom of the washer and filled the hole in with Spackle. Probably not necessary but for some reason I just don’t like the idea of the whole. In the future, I think I will get bases from Lithko. Then again, washers are easy to get at the store and do add a little weight to the model.

When I applied my super glue it ran a little wider than I had expected on the washer. I figured this would be okay, as it might set up a little, providing a slope between the washer and the models feet. Of course, My ADHD wouldn’t allow me to just wait and see if that worked. I dipped the model in sand. I liked the way it worked, so I added a llittle more glue to bring the sand to the edges of the washer and dipped again. I also ran a nice thin line of glue on the flat part of the models base. I am happy with the results.

Tomorrow, I am going to scrape of any bits of sand I don’t like and then prime the models. Hopefully I will have at least 4 painted up if not all 8.

Below is pictures of my progress. Pics aren’t very good, they came from the camera phone. My real camera is out in the car and I didn’t want to bother with going out to get it.









Thanks for looking,
Shawn

5 comments:

  1. Original Comments from 6sided.net

    David Billinghurst says:
    July 26, 2011 at 9:01 am (Edit)

    Looking good, Shawn. I use a similar basing approach for my figures, though I use watered down PVA (a type of white glue) to stick the sand to the bases.

    Looking forward to seeing how you get on.
    Reply

    *
    arrivalvengeance says:
    July 27, 2011 at 12:23 am (Edit)

    I usually use PVA glue, the use of super glue was sort of an accident turned into an experiment. :)

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Original Comments from 6sided.net

    El Grego says:
    July 26, 2011 at 2:38 pm (Edit)

    Looking good so far, and the title of the blog is a good one! Do make sure to drag the camera out for the next photo shoot…

    ReplyDelete
  3. Original Comments from 6sided.net

    Ray says:
    July 26, 2011 at 6:15 pm (Edit)

    Great start on your blog!!! I find it a little fiddly, painting 15mm figures when they’re already based up, what I do is superglue 6-8 figures on a stick 8-10 inches long. Then paint them all up at the same time, then when your finished, base them up, try giving that a go on your next lot. I think its the easiest and quickest way to paint up 15′s.
    Reply

    *
    arrivalvengeance says:
    July 27, 2011 at 12:25 am (Edit)

    I’ll give that a try after I paint up these first 8. I did see that technique used on others blog. I wasn’t sure about trying it yet. Of course, it makes sense, that is how all my 6mm and 10mm stuff gets done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Original Comments from 6sided.net


    David says:
    July 26, 2011 at 10:49 pm (Edit)

    Looking forward to seeing the progress of these figures. Have you considered using US pennies for your bases? 19mm in size, regular, and cheap too.
    Reply

    *
    arrivalvengeance says:
    July 27, 2011 at 12:29 am (Edit)

    hard to beat 1 cent each. Of course I am a bit anal and don’t like the idea of seeing the penny on the bottom. I’d probably end up trying to fill in the detail on the bottom or covering it with something. Somehow knowing its a penny would bug me. I don’t know why. I did hear that washers were attracted to magnets better than pennies.Heck, the whole on the bottom of the washer bugs me too, which is why I am contemplating using the Lithko bases.

    Keep the suggestions coming! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Original Comments from 6sided.net


    David says:
    July 27, 2011 at 4:04 pm (Edit)

    well, you could combine ideas, and use a penny with a magnetic base bottom from Litko. The heavy duty 15mm magnet is $8.75 for 50, or you could get the regular ones at $9.99 for 100. That is pretty much what I am thinking of doing for my eventual 15mm skirmish forces. (you could also get a custom base size at exactly 19mm for $10.99)

    Now if only they made a SGII token set…

    ReplyDelete